Monday, May 27, 2019

Tears and Joy


I cried today – caught me by surprise both times.

As we were heading to Mama’s house – our “home base” while we’re in Kangundo – I thought of Isaac, Mama Monica’s husband who died just a few years ago. As I pictured our arrival, it just felt wrong that he would not be there, stately and kind, to greet us all. It’s on his family land where the house is, where the women’s community center was built and where the clinic was built, as well as the mortuary. He also gave land to two local schools. His generosity will be long remembered but it’s him I’m missing now.

As always, our arrival is met with singing and dancing by all the mamas in the area. What a gift to be celebrated that way. Plus it’s fun to dance with them!



Warm greetings are always exchanged.

Kizimani regularly gives food to some of the neediest in this community. We got to help distribute it this month.

Because of many generous corporate and personal donations, these families were also able to choose some shoes and clothing for themselves and their families.

 A new jacket proudly worn.


Taking supplies home.


We split into work parties. Our community worker guys helped some local masons in starting a bench  just outside the mortuary.

A few of us went on home visits to some of the families we support. 




Coffee grown on this farm.


This visit was where I cried again. I visited Naomi a couple of years ago, but she had a stroke not long ago so her left side is mostly non-functional. Dr. Terry encouraged the family to help her move more, so she and Nick demonstrated how to help her stand safely to get her blood circulating.

As we were leaving, I went to shake her hand. She shook my hand and shook it and shook it as though she'd never let go. I don't know if I will ever get to see her again.


And of course there is our medical team. Just a few photos today, starting with a shelf in the pharmacy.


Dr. Matt with his daughters looking on


 Susan and Linda as triage nurses


 Dr. Julie with a patient who does not want to say "ah!"


16% battery power left - time to head for bed!



No comments:

Post a Comment